On this episode of The Cloud Pod, the team discusses the upcoming 2023 in-person Google Cloud conference, the accessibility of AWS CloudTrail Lake for non-AWS activity events, the new updates from Azure Chaos studio, and the comparison between Oracle Cloud service and other Cloud providers. They also highlight the application and importance of VPCs in CCOE.
A big thanks to this week’s sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides full-stack cloud solutions with a focus on strategy, planning and execution for enterprises seeking to take advantage of the transformative capabilities of AWS, Google Cloud and Azure.
This week’s highlights
- 🚨 AWS: AWS CloudTrail Lake now allows users to consolidate, immutably store, and analyze activity events from non-AWS sources.
- 🚨 GCP: Google Cloud 2023 Next conference will be in-person.
- 🚨 Azure: New updates are available in the Azure Chaos studio.
- 🚨 Oracle: Oracle creates a page comparing its cloud services with AWS and others.
- 💡 “A transit gateway effectively is saying we’re going to let you make multiple VPCs into one VPC, which is awesome”
- 💡 “When you’re designing VPC networking, make sure you’re aware of the cost involved in cross-zone communication because it’s not free and it can be quite significant”
AWS: AWS CloudTrail Lake now allows users to analyze activity events from non-AWS sources.
- 👤 New – AWS CloudTrail Lake Supports Ingesting Activity Events From Non-AWS Sources
- ️🕵️ Initially, AWS cloud lake was a service to access, analyze and store user and API activity from AWS as a source, but now users can set up custom events or integrate with other providers.
GCP: Google Cloud 2023 Next conference will be in-person.
- 0️⃣ Google Cloud Next
- This will be the first in-person Next conference since 2019.
Azure: New updates are available in the Azure Chaos studio.
- 0️⃣ Chaos studio – Public preview updates for January 2023
- These updates include the availability of dynamic targeting, enabling service tags, VMSS SHutdown 2.0, and others.
Oracle: Oracle creates a page comparing its cloud services with AWS and others.
- 0️⃣ Compare cloud services across OCI and other cloud providers, highlighting its equivalents to AWS, Azure and GCP
The Cloud Journey Series; The Cloud Center of Excellence (CCOE)
- VPC means Virtual Private Cloud and is a service tied to almost every aspect of the cloud, especially in AWS.
- Security requirements are crucial to consider with VPCs which would include ACLs and VPC Flow Logs.
- Another consideration for VPCs is connectivity back to your private data center which may be through a VPN connection or a direct connect point-to-point from a third party or your data center into the cloud provider itself.
Other Headlines Mentioned:
- Native OPA Support in Terraform Cloud Is Now Generally Available
- Introducing Hermes, An Open Source Document Management System
- New – Deployment Pipelines Reference Architecture and Reference Implementations
- AWS announces Amazon-provided contiguous IPv6 CIDR blocks
- Lessons learned optimizing Microsoft’s internal use of Azure
- Latest OCI Blockchain Platform update enables blockchain interoperability and brings Web3 capabilities to OCI
- OpenAI-backed motion to dismiss
- AWS achieves ISO 20000-1:2018 certification for 109 services
- Visualize AWS WAF logs with an Amazon CloudWatch dashboard
- SageMaker Automatic Model Tuning now adds three new completion criteria for tuning jobs
- Amazon OpenSearch Service simplifies remote reindex for VPC domains
- Amazon CloudWatch now simplifies metric extraction from structured logs
- Amazon Athena releases data source connector for Google Cloud Storage
- AWS CloudTrail Lake now supports ingestion of activity events from non-AWS sources
- AWS Systems Manager announces integration of Automation with Change Calendar
- Amazon AppFlow announces 4 new data connectors
- AWS announces Credential Guard support for Windows instances on Amazon EC2
- Amazon QuickSight launches Radar chart
- AWS Snow Family now supports Ubuntu 20 and 22 operating systems
- AWS Outposts rack local gateway now supports VPC prefix lists to simplify routing policy management
- AWS Snow Family now supports software updates on AWS Snowcone
- Amazon Kendra Expanded Data Formats Support
- Bottlerocket now supports network bonding and VLAN tagging
- Amazon RDS now supports increasing storage size when creating read replicas and restoring databases from snapshots
- AWS Glue Studio Visual ETL now supports 5 new transforms
- AWS announces access of Simple Monthly Calculator estimates in the AWS Pricing Calculator
- AWS Fault Injection Simulator announces Pause I/O action for Amazon Elastic Block Store volumes
- AWS announces three new AWS Direct Connect locations
- AWS Conversational AI Competency Partner’s implement high-quality chatbot solutions
- Amazon Personalize simplifies onboarding with data insights
- Generally available: Apply Azure storage access tiers to append blobs and page blobs with blob type conversion
- General Availability: 5 GB Put Blob
- Microsoft Cost Management updates—January 2023
- 0️⃣ Microsoft, GitHub, OpenAI urge judge to bin Copilot code rip-off case.
- This request is based on grounds that the case lacks standing as there is no evidence that the plaintiff suffered harm that can be addressed by the court.