On The Cloud Pod this week, Peter is spending the next 12 hours in a rejuvenation chamber like a regular villain straight out of a James Bond film.
A big thanks to this week’s sponsors:
- Foghorn Consulting, which provides full-stack cloud solutions with a focus on strategy, planning and execution for enterprises seeking to take advantage of the transformative capabilities of AWS, Google Cloud and Azure.
This week’s highlights
- 🚨 Amazon is on a mission to replace humans so we can go on holiday permanently.
- 🚨 Google is a bit early with the April Fools’ joke.
- 🚨 Azure is, much to our surprise, ahead of everyone else for once.
Amazon Web Services: Battle Bots
- 😞 Amazon announces Alexa Conversations is now generally available for voice app development. We’re still a bit disappointed in her voice — it would be nice to hear something a bit more natural.
- 🍬 Amazon launches computer vision service to detect defects in manufactured products. Soon we’ll just be sitting around eating bon bons — we can’t wait!
- 🎎 AWS Asia Pacific (Osaka) region now open to all, with three availability zones and more services. We think this is a reaction to the huge cloud growth in Japan.
- 🏅 AWS DeepRacer League’s 2021 season launches with new Open and Pro divisions. Apparently it’s gone virtual and is being dominated by experts.
Google Cloud Platform: A Bit Jealous
- 👩✈️ Google introduces GKE Autopilot, a revolutionary mode of operations for managed Kubernetes. Autopilot makes it sound like an Oracle product.
- 🤣 Google announces the Risk Protection Program to enhance trust in cloud ecosystems. Google wants you to pay insurance in case its cloud goes down…
- 👍 Google extends BigQuery BI engine for faster insights across popular BI tools. Pretty cool!
- 👏 New enhancements for Google Cloud Marketplace Private Catalog including Terraform support. This is pretty good for internal teams managing private catalogs.
Azure: Killing It
- 🐑 Microsoft has announced a trio of new industry clouds. We think other providers will follow very soon.
- 😬 Microsoft to establish the first datacenter region in Indonesia as part of Berdayakan Ekonomi Digital Indonesia initiative. Justin apologizes for butchering the name of that initiative.
- 💀 Azure is killing off a bunch of its products. No, the dates aren’t wrong — 2024 is a leap year:
- Action required: Switch to Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 by 29 February 2024
- We are retiring Classic Azure Migrate on 29 February 2024
- Azure Stack Edge Pro FPGA is retiring on 29 February 2024
- Update the Azure Cosmos DB Java SDK by 29 February 2024
- Azure Batch rendering VM images & licensing will be retired on 29 February 2024
- We’re retiring the standard version of Custom Voice on 29 February 2024
- We are retiring Azure Cognitive Services Text Analytics v2.x on 29 February 2024
- Please upgrade your Azure AD Connect sync to a newer version by 29 February 2024
- Azure Batch Transcription and Customization Rest API v2 will be retired by 29 February 2024
- Azure Application Gateway analytics will be retired on 29 February 2024
- Update your scripts to use Az PowerShell modules by 29 February 2024
- Update your Azure Media Services REST API and SDKs to v3 by 29 February 2024
- We’re retiring Azure Network Watcher Connection Monitor (classic) on 29 February 2024
- Jenkins plug-ins for Azure are being retired on 29 February 2024
- AKS legacy Azure AD integration will be retired on 29 February 2024
- We’re retiring Classic Application Insights on 29 February 2024
- We’re retiring Network Performance Monitor on 29 February 2024
- Azure Batch ‘CloudServiceConfiguration’ pools will be retired on 29 February 2024
Azure Ignite: Don’t Get Excited
- 😐 Innovate across hybrid and multi cloud with new Azure Arc capabilities. Bit of an anti-climax.
- 👜 Azure releases several new capabilities for Azure Data and AI. A mixed bag of capabilities.
- 🧐 Introducing Azure Percept, an easy-to-use platform for creating responsible edge AI solutions. But it still requires a human… so manage your expectations.
- 💩 Satya Nadella shares the five attributes that will drive the next generation of cloud innovation. Do not watch it! Jonathan has a peg on his nose so he doesn’t have to smell the bullshit.
- 😺 Introducing Microsoft Mesh, a new mixed-reality platform powered by Azure. Actually kind of cool.
TCP Lightning Round
⚡Saved from watching Satya Nadella’s keynote meant Jonathan hadn’t been bored to death and takes this week’s point, leaving scores at Justin (3), Ryan (1), Jonathan (4).
Other headlines mentioned:
- AWS Config now supports Amazon container services
- Amazon Elasticsearch Service now supports rollups, reducing storage costs for extended retention
- TLS 1.2 will be required for all AWS FIPS endpoints beginning March 31, 2021
- You can now seamlessly connect customers and business with Azure Communication Services and Microsoft Teams
- Google is bringing your GKE logs to the GKE cloud console
- AWS CodePipeline now supports 1000 pipelines per account
- Amazon EKS now supports adding KMS envelope encryption to existing clusters to enhance security for secrets
- Microsoft Power Fx: The open-source low-code programming language is in public preview
- The AWS Lambda console now features a new navigation design
Things Coming Up