On The Cloud Pod this week, Amazon announces Amazon Inspector’s new support of Windows OS for continual software vulnerability scanning of EC2 workloads, Google has several exciting announcements regarding Chronicle, Azure is announcing pretty much everything under the sun, and Oracle announces OCI Lake in beta.
Thank you to our sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides top notch cloud and DevOps engineers to the world’s most innovative companies. Initiatives stalled because you’re having trouble hiring? Foghorn can be burning down your DevOps and Cloud backlogs as soon as next week.
⏰ Google makes 3 announcements about Chronicle.
⏰ Azure has three–yes, three–new releases this week.
💎 “The picture is still opaque of what the real value of this is going to be. But the fact that it’s out there is good or, you know… it’s the classic. “I’m leaving Amazon and I have worked on this code for five years and I like doing open source. So I can keep using it. It can be that classic move.”
- 🤑 Gartner published an article indicating that SaaS vendors will be using sustainability as a basis to raise their prices. [0:34]
- 🤪 The news out of VMWare this week can basically be summed up as: Tanzu, Tanzu, and more Tanzu. [2:38]
AWS: Scanning, scanning, scanning….
- 📏 Amazon Event Ruler is becoming open source. [10:50]
- 🔍 Amazon Inspector now supports Windows operating system (OS) for continual software vulnerability scanning of EC2 workloads. [14:12]
GCP: Dear Diary, today I…
🖊️ A Chronicle blog post diary, Google made several announcements [17:09]:
📈 There are new ingestion metrics coming to Chronicle.
⏳ New YARA-L functionalities are coming that will allow you to apply more fine grained time based criteria into your detections.
🦠 The Chronicle native-VirusTotal augment widget is now available.
Azure: New Releases, New Releases Everywhere…
- 🔋 Azure Managed Grafana is now generally available. [19:39]
- 👋 Enterprise-ready Azure Monitor change analysis capability released–say that five times fast. [22:03]
- 🖥️ Enterprise-grade edge for Azure Static Web Apps is now generally available. [25:16]
- 💾 Oracle has announced OCI Lake (beta), which provides fine-grained access control to all resources in a data lake’s object storage. [26:48]
TCP Lightning Lightning Round [30:06]
⚡️ This week, Ryan inches closer to dethroning Justin as the scores move to:
Justin (7), Ryan (5), Jonathan (4), Peter (1).
- Unity Catalog for Azure Databricks is now GA
- Azure Cosmos DB integrated cache is now GA
- You can now authenticate to Azure Service Bus using Managed Identities
- AWS announces open-sourced credentials-fetcher to simplify Microsoft AD access from Linux containers
- AWS Fargate announces availability of Microsoft Windows Server 2022 images for Amazon ECS
- AWS Config conformance pack templates can now be stored in AWS Systems Manager
- Amazon Managed Service for Prometheus Alert Manager & Ruler logs now available in Amazon CloudWatch Logs
- Announcing new AWS Console Home widgets for recent AWS blog posts and launch announcements
Things Coming Up:
- Sectember – CSA Conference – September 26-30th – Bellevue WA
- Elasticon San Francisco – October 4th
- Google Cloud Next – October 11th – 13th
- Oracle Cloud World – October 17-20th
- Devops Enterprise Summit US Flagship – October 18th-20th – Las Vegas
- Kubecon US – October 24-28th
- AWS Reinvent – November 28th-Dec-2 (assumed)
And that is the week in the cloud. We would like to thank our sponsors Foghorn Consulting. Check out our website, the home of the cloud pod where you can join our newsletter, Slack team, send feedback or ask questions at thecloudpod.net or Tweet at us with hashtag #thecloudpod