On The Cloud Pod this week, AWS Enterprise Support adds incident detection and response, the announcement of Google Cloud Spanner, and Oracle expands to Spain.
Thank you to our sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides top notch cloud and DevOps engineers to the world’s most innovative companies. Initiatives stalled because you’re having trouble hiring? Foghorn can be burning down your DevOps and Cloud backlogs as soon as next week.
- ⏰ AWS Enterprise Support adds incident detection and response
- ⏰ You can now get a 90-day free trial of Google Cloud Spanner
- ⏰ Oracle opens its newest cloud infrastructure region in Spain
💎 “A very large percentage of MySQL HeatWave customers are AWS users who are migrating off Aurora. However, there are still some AWS customers who are not able to migrate to OCI. This is a service where the data plane, control plane and console are natively running on AWS. We have taken the MySQL HeatWave code and optimized it for AWS infrastructure.”
–Nipun Agarwal, senior vice president of MySQL, Database and HeatWave at Oracle.
🆕 Moving from Ruby to Go, Vagrant 2.3 Introduces Go Runtime. [0:58]
AWS: New Proactive Monitoring from AWS
- 🚨 AWS Enterprise Support adds incident detection and response. [2:01]
- 🙂 Helping to vastly reduce failover times, Amazon RDS Proxy adds support for Amazon RDS for SQL Server. [3:59]
- 📑 Beginning October 11th, ACM public certificates will be issued by one of the Intermediate CA’s that AWS manages. [7:46]
- 💽 AWS has announced direct VPC routing for AWS outposts. [10:23]
- 🖥️ You can now deploy your Amazon EKS Clusters Locally on AWS Outposts. [12:12]
GCP: Free Trial Here! Get Your Free Trial Here!
- 🤑 You can now get a 90-day free trial of Google Cloud Spanner. [14:04]
- 👮 If you need a new way to protect your data, try Google introduced fine-grained access control for Cloud Spanner. [14:58]
- 📀 Googles Database Migration service now supports Google Alloy DB in preview. [16:30]
- 🧑💻 Revelations from Storage Innovation Day [17:36]
- 🍻 Hold our collective beers… you can now Sign up for the Google Cloud Fly Cup Challenge. [20:31]
- 🗣️ Google has announced Pub/Sub metrics dashboards for improved observability. [22:52]
- 💻 Virtual Machine support in Anthos is now generally available. [25:14]
- 🖱️ Beginning this month, Vertex AI matching engine and feature store will support real-time streaming ingestion as preview features. [26:54]
Azure: Low-latency Streaming… What Is It Good For?
- 🔋 Azure Media Services low-latency live streaming is now generally available. [27:51]
- 📈 The ability to resize peered virtual networks is now generally available. [30:56]
Oracle: Oracle goes abroad
- 💰 Oracle’s total revenue increases by 23% in the first fiscal quarter. [32:44]
- 🇪🇸 Oracle opens its newest cloud infrastructure region in Spain [34:53]
- ☁️ Only two years later, Oracle finally brings MySQL heatwave to the Amazon Cloud. [35:56]
TCP Lightning Lightning Round [30:06]
⚡️ Another week goes by and Justin’s reign remains unthreatened:
Justin (7), Ryan (5), Jonathan (4), Peter (1).
- AWS Transfer Family now supports multiple host keys and key types per server
- AWS Cloud Development Kit (CDK) announces CDK Construct tree view in the AWS CloudFormation console
- Introducing Visual Conversation builder for Amazon Lex
- AppFlow now supports deleting records in Salesforce
- AWS Systems Manager now supports patching newer versions of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Oracle Linux, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- On 1 October 2025, the Log Analytics alert API in Azure Monitor will be retired
- Sign Amazon SNS messages with SHA256 hashing for HTTP subscriptions
Things Coming Up:
- Google Cloud Next – October 11th – 13th
- Oracle Cloud World – October 17-20th
- Devops Enterprise Summit US Flagship – October 18th-20th – Las Vegas
- Kubecon US – October 24-28th
- AWS Reinvent – November 28th-Dec-2 (assumed)