Episode 185: The Cloud Pod is flush with Cache!
On The Cloud Pod this week, Amazon introduces their new file cache for on premises systems, Google introduces GKE Autopilot, and Azure helps you strengthen your security even more.
Thank you to our sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides top notch cloud and DevOps engineers to the world’s most innovative companies. Initiatives stalled because you’re having trouble hiring? Foghorn can be burning down your DevOps and Cloud backlogs as soon as next week.
- ⏰ Introducing Amazon File Cache, the new AWS cache for on-premises file systems.
- ⏰ Google introduces support for GPU workloads and more in GKE Autopilot.
- ⏰ Strengthen your security with Policy Analytics for Azure Firewall.
💎 “I get the feeling that the multiple tenancy, in a way is probably the selling point here. That as you acquire new companies, or as you bring on new partners dynamically, it’s easier to integrate those IDPs. Whereas previously, it’s been pretty difficult to to have multiple sources of identity, I guess it sort of abstracts those and provides a single layer to the Google identity service.” [22:07”
- 😨 We will not be recording during the week of Google Cloud Next, so our episodes will be slightly delayed–fear not, we’re recording an episode immediately after Next so we can deliver your weekly dose of cloud news ASAP.
AWS: All About the Cache
- 🚨 Introducing Amazon File Cache, the new AWS cache for on-premises file systems. [1:28]
- 🖥️ Amazon WorkSpaces introduces Ubuntu Desktops, with per month or per hour pricing. [5:35]
- 🔈 AWS announces Amazon WorkSpaces Core, their new fully managed VDI service. [11:00]
GCP: Put Your Work on Autopilot?
- 💽 Google introduces support for GPU workloads and more in GKE Autopilot. [16:04]
- 🧑💻 You can now easily manage Google Cloud workforce access with Workforce Identity Federation.. [20:37]
Azure: Budget Updates on the Go!
- 💪 Strengthen your security with Policy Analytics for Azure Firewall. [25:18]
- 💰 Cost Management updates for September, including the ability to track budgets from the Azure mobile app! [28:17]
- 👋 Azure SQL Database Hyperscale reverse migration to general purpose tier is now generally available.. [30:06]
- 🔊 Generally available: Azure Functions .NET Framework support in the isolated worker model. [32:05]
Oracle: Is it Halloween or April Fool’s Day?
TCP Lightning Lightning Round [37:01]
⚡️ With Justin out this week, Ryan looks to take over as champion:
Justin (8), Ryan (6), Jonathan (4), Peter (1).
(Lets hope this starts a trend… looking at you Simple Systems Manager)
Things Coming Up:
And that is the week in the cloud. We would like to thank our sponsors Foghorn Consulting. Check out our website, the home of the cloud pod where you can join our newsletter, Slack team, send feedback or ask questions at thecloudpod.net or Tcweet at us with hashtag #thecloudpod