The Cloud Pod recaps all of the positives and negatives of Amazon ReInvent 2022, the annual conference in Las Vegas, bringing together 50,000 cloud computing professionals. This year’s keynote speakers include Adam Selpisky, CEO of Amazon Web Services, Swami Sivasubramanian, Vice President of Data and Machine Learning at AWS and Werner Vogels, Amazon’s CTO. Attendees and web viewers were treated to new features and products, such as AWS Lambda Snapstart for Java Functions, New Quicksight capabilities and quality-of-life improvements to hundreds of services. Justin, Jonathan, Ryan, Peter and Special guest Joe Daly from the Finops foundation talk about the show and the announcements.
Thank you to our sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides top notch cloud and DevOps engineers to the world’s most innovative companies. Initiatives stalled because you’re having trouble hiring? Foghorn can be burning down your DevOps and Cloud backlogs as soon as next week.
- ⏰ AWS Pricing Calculator now supports modernization cost estimates for Microsoft workloads.
- ⏰ AWS Re:Invent 2022 announcements and keynote updates.
💎 “But if I’m putting my business data into another data lake, and I want to use the business data to inform my security data, I now have to cross the lakes to even make this connection to get that data set. So I agree with you on a pure security basis in the open schema for security data is really great. My issue is that you’re putting borders around these lakes, when you really want to bring the data together and be able to hydrate across. That’s why we have enterprise data, we analyze data warehouses, where we have all these things to bring this data together, add context to data. And I feel like this is just more removing context.” [37:20]
AWS: Amazon Goes to India
- AWS Pricing Calculator now supports modernization cost estimates for Microsoft workloads. [1:39]
- Introducing Finch: An open source client for container development. [3:19]
- AWS opens its 30th region in India. [4:51]
- New for AWS backup: Protect and restore CloudFormation stacks. [5:57]
- Amazon ECS Service Connect enabling easy communication between microservices. [7:31]
DAY 1 KEYNOTE: Peter DeSantis [19:11]
- Announcing AWS Lambda SnapStart for Java functions.
- Amazon EC2 C7gn instances is now in preview.
- Introducing Elastic Network Adapter (ENA) Express for Amazon EC2 instances.
DAY 2 KEYNOTE: Adam Selipsky [24:52]
Advertising & Marketing [25:34]
Databases & Analytics [27:31]
- Amazon OpenSearch Serverless – Run Search and Analytics Workloads without Managing Clusters–now in preview.
- AWS Announces two new capabilities to move toward a zero-ETL future on AWS.
- AWS Announces Amazon DataZone.
- AWS Announces Five New Capabilities for Amazon QuickSight.
- Support for forecast and “why” questions in Amazon QuickSight Q.
- Automated data preparation for Amazon QuickSight Q.
- Paginated reporting built for the cloud.
- Simple and fast analysis for large datasets.
- Faster, programmatic migration to the cloud.
DAY 1 & 2 ANNOUNCEMENTS [:]:
AI/Machine Learning [41:02]
- AWS unveils new AI service features and enhancements at re:Invent 2022.
- Amazon Textract launches analyze lending to accelerate loan document processing.
- Announcing real-time capabilities in Amazon Transcribe Call Analytics API to improve customer experience.
- New Search Capabilities on Amazon Kendra:
- New Capabilities for Amazon HealthLake.
- Amazon CodeWhisperer adds Enterprise administrative controls, simple sign-up, and support for new languages.
- New general purpose, compute optimized, and memory-optimized Amazon EC2 instances with higher packet-processing performance.
- Amazon EC2 M6in / M6idn Instances.
- Amazon EC2 C6in Instances.
- AWS Nitro Enclaves now supports Amazon EKS and Kubernetes.
- AWS Compute Optimizer now supports external metrics from observability partners.
Network & Content Delivery [44:18]
- Elastic Load Balancing capabilities for application availability.
- Announcing preview for Amazon Route 53 Application Recovery Controller zonal shift.
- Application Load Balancer (ALB) Cross Zone Off.
- Network Load Balancer (NLB) Health Check Improvements.
- ALB and NLB Minimum Healthy Targets.
- Amazon Inspector Now Scans AWS Lambda Functions for Vulnerabilities.
- Announcing AWS KMS External Key Store (XKS).
- Announcing a new generation of Amazon FSx for OpenZFS file systems.
- Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP simplifies access to Multi-AZ file systems from on-premises and peered networks.
- Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP doubles the maximum throughput capacity and SSD IOPS per file system.
- AWS announces lower latencies for Amazon Elastic File System.
DAY 3 KEYNOTE: Swami Sivasubramanian [48:36]
Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning [48:36]
- AWS machine learning university new educator enablement program to build diverse talent for ML/AI Jobs.
- Amazon SageMaker Data Wrangler Supports SaaS Applications as Data Sources.
- AWS Announces Eight New Amazon SageMaker Capabilities.
- New ML governance tools for Amazon SageMaker – Simplify access control and enhance transparency over your ML projects.
- Next Generation SageMaker Notebooks – Now with built-in data preparation, real-time collaboration, and notebook automation.
- Preview: Use Amazon SageMaker to build, train, and deploy ML models using geospatial data.
Database & Analytics [50:46]
- AWS Announces Five New Database and Analytics Capabilities.
- Amazon GuardDuty RDS Protection now in preview.
- Amazon Redshift now supports auto-copy from Amazon S3.
- Now in preview: Amazon Redshift data sharing now supports centralized access control with AWS Lake formation.
DAY 3 ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning [54:11]
- Introducing AWS AI Service Cards: A new resource to enhance transparency and advance responsible AI.
Database & Analytics [54:28]
- Amazon Redshift announces support for dynamic data masking (preview).
- Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose adds support for data stream delivery to Amazon OpenSearch Serverless.
- AWS Announces Torn Write Prevention for EC2 I4i instances, EBS, and Amazon RDS.
- Amazon S3 Access Points can now be used to securely delegate access permissions for shared datasets to other AWS accounts.
DAY 4 KEYNOTE: Werner Vogels [1:01:43]
Developer Tools [1:01:59]
- Step Functions Distributed Map – A Serverless Solution for Large-Scale Parallel Data Processing.
- Create point-to-point integrations between event producers and consumers with Amazon EventBridge Pipes.
- AWS Application Composer is now in preview.
DAY 4 ANNOUNCEMENTS [1:05:37]
Re:Invent Predictions 2022 (Ryan 22, Justin 15, Peter 23) [1:06:03]
- Adding RDS To Savings Plan
- GPU for Fargate
- New mi6.xlarge family of EC2 only used by british spies
- New Graviton/Arm Based Pick – YES
- Cognito 2.0
- Meh Conference, only niche announcements nothing for the general market. And no additional cost savings for customers due to profitability needs at AWS
- Significant Step Flow increases – Andrew Fitzgerald – OG
- Salesforce Killer for CRM Ryan Lucas – CloudPod
- SLSA solution and/or enablement/visualization/existing code family products
- ARM Chip Factory