On this episode of The Cloud Pod, the team talks about the new AWS Melbourne Region in Australia, the layoff of employees by Microsoft and Google, the mutually beneficial expansion of the partnership between AWS and Stripe, as well as the role of security and GRC in the CCOE.
A big thanks to this week’s sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides full-stack cloud solutions with a focus on strategy, planning and execution for enterprises seeking to take advantage of the transformative capabilities of AWS, Google Cloud and Azure.
This week’s highlights
- 🚨 AWS: AWS opens new Melbourne Region infrastructure in Australia
- 🚨 GCP: Google lays off 12,000 employees, 6% of its workforce.
- 🚨 Azure: Microsoft announced the layoff of 10,000 employees; 5% of their workforce.
- 💡 “If you want that velocity you really have to democratize your access to cloud and your usage of cloud, and with that, you have to expand out the list of responsible parties to people with the proper business context”
- 💡 “There’s all kinds of mistakes you can make; many more mistakes I think you can make by deploying incorrectly or insecurity in the cloud than you can do in the private data center”
- 💡 “I think it’s important to keep the context of why you are shifting to the cloud; what is important to the business in terms of value”
AWS: AWS opens new Melbourne Region infrastructure in Australia.
- 👤 Now Open — AWS Asia Pacific (Melbourne) Region in Australia
- ️🕵️ This is the second infrastructure in Australia, offering an alternative to Perth.
GCP: Google lays off 12,000 employees; 6% of its workforce.
- 0️⃣ Alphabet to let go 12,000 employees amid broader tech layoffs
- Alphabet Chief notes that hiring was aimed at an economy different from current realities..
Azure: Microsoft announced the lay of 10,000 employees; 5% of their workforce.
- 0️⃣ Subject: Focusing on our short- and long-term opportunity
- Even with the severance cost of 1.2 billion dollars, while laying off workers in certain roles, they will be hiring in others.
The Cloud Journey Series; The Cloud Center of Excellence (CCOE)
- GRC needs to address security based on the initial principles behind their typical security practices rather than trying to simply replicate old practices in the new cloud space.
- There is credibility to the concern security teams have for the higher risk of mistakes when deploying incorrectly or insecurely in the cloud.
- Summarily, the goal of the shift to the cloud will determine the approach to defining security standards, and with the way the cloud works, security teams need to get actively involved with the implementation of security protocols..
- Announcing the general availability of AWS Local Zones in Lagos, Lima, and Querétaro
- AWS will invest $35B to expand its Virginia data center presence
- Announcing Porting Advisor for Graviton
- Amazon VPC IP Address Manager (IPAM) now manages IP Addresses in your network outside your AWS Organization
- A new Google Cloud region is coming to Kuwait
- Microsoft deepens commitment to OpenAI in Azure cloud and enterprise products with reported $10B stake
- Azure Native New Relic Service: Full stack observability in minutes
- Amazon QuickSight launches data bars for tables
- Increased field limits and performance improvements for Pivot table in Amazon QuickSight
- AWS announces Amazon provided contiguous IPv6 CIDRs blocks
- AWS Pricing Calculator now supports optimized pricing estimation for EC2 Dedicated Hosts
- Amazon OpenSearch Serverless is now generally available
- AWS Managed Services (AMS) customers can now change response for Config Rules
- Amazon RDS Blue/Green Deployments now supports Aurora MySQL 3 (with MySQL 8.0 compatibility) as a source cluster
- Amazon Polly launches five new male NTTS voices
- Amazon MQ now supports RabbitMQ version 3.8.34
- Amazon SageMaker Automatic Model Tuning now allows you to specify environment variables for your tuning jobs
- Announcing comprehensive controls management with AWS Control Tower
- Announcing runtime management controls for AWS Lambda
- AWS Elemental MediaLive adds timecode burn-in
- Amazon EFS increases the maximum number of Access Points per file system
- Amazon RDS Multi-AZ with two readable standbys for RDS PostgreSQL now supports inbound replication
- Amazon Detective adds Amazon VPC Flow Logs visualizations for Amazon EKS workloads
- Amazon AppFlow announces 10 new connectors
- Amazon Connect now enables long lasting, persistent chat experiences
- Announcing the new private offers page in the AWS Marketplace Console
- Amazon EC2 Launch Templates now support AWS Systems Manager parameters for AMIs
- Amazon Kendra releases Microsoft Yammer Connector to enable messaging search
- Amazon CloudWatch launches cross-account Metric Streams
- Amazon S3 File Gateway increases maximum file shares per gateway from 10 to 50
- Amazon S3 File Gateway now supports DOS attributes
- AWS Fault Injection Simulator announces increased quotas for target resources
- Amazon OpenSearch Service announces enhanced dry run for configuration changes
- Amazon MWAA is now PCI DSS compliant
- Amazon RDS for MariaDB now supports enforcing SSL/TLS connections
- Amazon CloudWatch launches cross-account Metric Streams
- Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling now gives recommendations about activating predictive scaling policy
- Amazon EMR on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud clusters launch up to 30% faster in private subnets with Amazon EMR
- EBS direct APIs are now available in new AWS Europe and Asia Pacific Regions
- Amazon EMR Serverless introduces account-level vCPU-based service quota
- Validate AWS Serverless Application Model (SAM) templates with CloudFormation Linter to speed up development
- Announcing SKU pricing rules for AWS Billing Conductor
- Optimize Cloud Composer via Better Airflow DAGs
- Building an automated serverless deployment pipeline with Cloud Build
- How to do multivariate time series forecasting in BigQuery ML
- Azure Native Qumulo Scalable File Service provides seamless, secure data storage
- Cloud to Edge for efficient, agile, and sustainable retail
- From Teams to PowerPoint: 10 ways Azure AI enhances the Microsoft Apps we use everyday
- Create more integrated cloud experiences with over 1,400 connectors
- Public preview: Incremental snapshots for Ultra Disk Storage
- Generally available: Indirect enterprise agreement on Azure Cost Management and Billing
- General availability: Application security groups support for private endpoints
- General availability: Mount Azure Storage as a local share in App Service Windows Code
- Classic VM retirement: extending retirement date to September 1st 2023
- Azure Machine Learning – Generally availability updates for January 2023
- Public preview: Azure Database for MySQL – Logic Apps and Power Automate integration
- General Availability: Active Directory Connector for Arc-enabled SQL MI
- Azure Machine Learning – Public preview announcements for January 2023
- Public Preview: Container insights support for AKS hybrid clusters
- Public preview: Tribal Group events available to Azure Event Grid customers
- Generally available: Azure Active Directory authentication for SQL Server 2022
- Public Preview of Viewing SQL Server Databases via Azure Arc
- Public Preview: Microsoft Purview access policies for SQL Server 2022
- Deploying OKE with native pod networking in split-compartment mode
- Announcing OCI File Storage replication