On The Cloud Pod this week, your hosts just want to be wowed and Ryan is off motorcycling somewhere in the desert.
A big thanks to this week’s sponsors:
- Foghorn Consulting, which provides full-stack cloud solutions with a focus on strategy, planning and execution for enterprises seeking to take advantage of the transformative capabilities of AWS, Google Cloud and Azure.
- When the girls get coding!. Join us on your screens, Oct 13, for the live@Manning “Women in Tech” conference to celebrate the rising movement of women in technology. http://mng.bz/MolW
This week’s highlights
- 🚨 Fighting words from Amazon over JEDI loss.
- 🚨 Microsoft has gone to crazy town with their AWS connector pricing.
- 🚨 Oracle taps their inner millennial to win the Tik Tok U.S bid.
General: A Bit Picky
- 💰 Business App Platform Progress will acquire automation technology company Chef for $220 million. That’s a bargain price when you look at their recurring revenue.
- 🥇 Pentagon reaffirms Microsoft as winner of $10B JEDI cloud contract. Nobody says the government is the most efficient at doing anything so picking the second best cloud vendor is unsurprising.
- ⚔️ AWS has responded to the Pentagon reaffirmation of Azure with a harshly worded blog post. Well, life’s just not fair.
- 🥳 Foghorn Consulting (sponsor alert!) are teaming up with Hashicorp and sponsoring a virtual Q&A with Kelsey Hightower on September 24. Head to The Cloud Pod Slack page after to discuss!
Amazon Web Services: You’ll Need Some Pain Relief
- ☁️ AWS named Cloud Leader in Gartner’s Infrastructure & Platform Services Magic Quadrant. Gartner, are you listening to The Cloud Pod?
- 👍 Amazon CloudFront now supports Transport Layer Security v1.3 for improved performance and security. Good move for privacy, but will cause a lot of pain.
- 👓 Amazon CloudWatch now monitors Prometheus metrics to reduce monitoring tools needed for application performance degradation and failures. Might be worth the money — we’ll see.
- 🛒 Bezos’s likely Amazon successor is an executive made in Bezos’s image. Considering the source, are they floating this idea to see how people react?
- 🚀 AWS turns its focus to the space sector with appointment of director of space policy. We can’t get over the fact Amazon has a space division…
- 🙋 AWS Single Sign-On (SSO) adds support to automate access across AWS Organizations accounts. This is super helpful AWS!
- 👌 Enjoy a performance benefit of up to 40% at a 20% lower cost with Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud T4g. Why would you deal with the complexity of event driven infrastructure?!
- 🤝 AWS and Docker extend collaboration to launch new features in Docker Desktop. This is a great way to have your developers break production.
- 🥜 Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service now supports assigning EC2 security groups to Kubernetes pods. We think this is great!
Google Cloud Platform: Didn’t Know News Could Be So Vanilla
- 🏃♀️ New Google Cloud documentation feature makes it easier to run code samples. Pretty cool, but clearly a slow week for Google Cloud Next.
- 🧑🤝🧑 Google Cloud API Gateway is now available in public beta. Surprised this isn’t just Apigee?
- 🖥️ Google Cloud’s Confidential Computing portfolio is expanding. This news was met with an unimpressed silence.
- 🛢️ Suggested queries beta launches for Cloud Logging to analyze logs quickly. This is really scraping the bottom of the “announcements” barrel.
Azure: Read The Fine Print
- 🌼 A fully managed service for Spring Boot apps is now generally available with Azure Spring Cloud. A pricing model only VMWare and Microsoft could love.
- 💲 Connector for AWS in Azure Cost Management + Billing is now generally available. Free for the first 90 days, then turn it off.
- 🖼️ Visual Studio Code extension for Azure Cache for Redis enables access to caches under an Azure subscription and view data. We had a hard time figuring out what the use case is for this.
- 👋 Nutanix and Microsoft will swap license credits under the new Azure deal. Hardware vendors are having to find new ways to make money these days.
- 🏢 Azure Cost Management + Billing’s cost allocation preview for Enterprise and Microsoft Customer agreement accounts are now available. Not huge news, really just a “you’re welcome” from Microsoft.
Oracle: Welcome Back Larry
- 💃 Oracle beats Microsoft and wins bid for video sharing platform TikTok in U.S. We expect AWS to sue.
TCP Lightning Round
⚡Justin increases his lead again by taking this week’s point, leaving scores at Justin (12 points), Jonathan (seven points) and Ryan (four points).
Other headlines mentioned:
- AWS Cost & Usage Report now offers Monthly Granularity
- Meetings readiness checker APIs help developers ensure that end-users can join Amazon Chime SDK meetings from their devices
- AWS AppSync simplifies GraphQL query prototyping in the AWS Console with GraphQL Explorer and Cognito integration improvements
- AWS X-Ray launches Auto-Instrumentation Agent for Java
- AWS X-Ray launches anomaly detection-based actionable insights in preview
- Azure Data Explorer Kafka Connector – Improved delivery guarantees, schema registry support, and Confluent certification
- You can get a AWS quick starts for OpenShift 4
- Amazon WorkDocs supports auto-provisioning for all directory users
- Automated deployment of Always On availability groups through the Azure portal
- Amazon CloudWatch releases a Java client library for Embedded Metric Format
- Query Acceleration for Azure Data Lake Storage is now generally available
- Amazon RDS for SQL Server Now Supports More Time Zones