On The Cloud Pod this week, your hosts eagerly await next week’s Google product announcements so they can update their old phones.
A big thanks to this week’s sponsors:
- Foghorn Consulting, which provides full-stack cloud solutions with a focus on strategy, planning and execution for enterprises seeking to take advantage of the transformative capabilities of AWS, Google Cloud and Azure.
- When the girls get coding!. Join us on your screens, Oct 13, for the live@Manning “Women in Tech” conference to celebrate the rising movement of women in technology. http://mng.bz/MolW
This week’s highlights
- 🚨 Amazon is helping stop the insanity with patching.
- 🚨 Google is tired after its event but has still managed to give us new tools.
- 🚨 Microsoft’s new data center is an igloo in the desert.
Amazon Web Services: Do the Work For Us
- 🦝 Amazon API Gateway enhances the security of APIs to protect data from client spoofing and man-in-the-middle attacks with mutual TLS support. Twice as nice and great for the financial industry!
- 🕵️♀️ Amazon Detective now analyzes IAM role sessions to assist security analysts in diagnosing issues and understanding their root cause. The Detective is on the case!
- 🦥 Amazon CloudWatch Agent is now Open Source and included with Amazon Linux 2. Not really a fan of doing a multi-billion dollar company’s job…
- 🧩 AWS Security Hub now supports viewing patch compliance findings across AWS accounts. Now the question is, do people shadow patch so no one knows they’re out of date?
- 🏛️ AWS Perspective is a new AWS Solutions Implementation that helps customers build detailed architecture diagrams of workloads. Be wary of how much this will cost to run.
- 🌊 Three new AWS Wavelength Zones on Verizon’s 5G Ultra Wideband network are now available in Atlanta, New York City and Washington, D.C. With COVID shutting everything down and more things going online, this tech could be amazing.
Google Cloud Platform: Blue Screen Of Death
- ⚰️ Google Cloud makes it easier to manage Windows Server VMs. Nice — it’s a tool that gives you a picture of the blue screen of death.
- 😀 Export data from Cloud SQL without impacting performance. Seems relatively simple to implement and so much added value.
Azure: We Forgot About Ignite
- 🌀 New disaster recovery capability with the preview of Azure NetApp Files cross region replication. NetApp should see the writing on the wall.
- 🌶️ Microsoft’s newest sustainable datacenter region coming to Arizona in 2021. Not sure Arizona is the place we would choose for a data center that relies on outside air to cool.
- ☎️ Microsoft announces the “first” fully managed communication platform from a major cloud provider. Not sure they’re the first?
- 😷 Introducing new Azure AI capabilities to meet the challenges of safely reopening during COVID-19. Time to hire a couple of brutes to kick out the people who break the rules.
- 🛰️ Introducing Azure Orbital to process satellite data at cloud-scale. This is an interesting one!
- 👼 AT&T-powered guardian device with Azure Sphere enables highly secured, simple and scalable connectivity from anywhere. They’re basically saying cellphones are better than Wi-Fi.
- 🤑 Azure’s multi-cloud, multi-edge hybrid capabilities provide a holistic and seamless approach to run and manage apps anywhere. Good luck figuring out how much this will cost you.
- 👮 Protect multi-cloud workloads with new Azure security innovations. We really like the name “Defender” for the product suite.
TCP Lightning Round
⚡ Justin races ahead by taking this week’s point, leaving scores at Justin (13 points), Jonathan (seven points) and Ryan (four points).
Other headlines mentioned:
- New 4-course series on Coursera teaches vital product-management skills
- AWS Systems Manager Explorer now supports grouping and customization of operational data sources
- Amazon Redshift announces spatial functionality enhancements
- Amazon Transcribe adds support for automatic language identification
- Enforce encryption for Amazon Elastic File System resources using AWS IAM
- Announcing event logging and self-upgrade capabilities in SSM Agent, with new version 3.0
- Amazon MSK now supports SASL/SCRAM authentication with usernames and passwords secured by AWS Secrets Manager
- Accelerate analytics and AI workloads with Photon powered Delta Engine on Azure Databricks
- Amazon CloudFront announces support for Brotli compression
- AWS Budgets now offers Daily Granularity for Cost & Usage Budgets
- Amazon RDS for SQL Server Now Supports Native Backup/Restore on DB Instances with Read Replicas
- Elasticsearch Audit Logs now available on Amazon Elasticsearch Service
- AWS Lambda adds console support for visualizing AWS Step Functions workflows
- Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server now in preview