On The Cloud Pod this week, Jonathan’s brain is a little scrambled and he can’t remember when he last went out for dinner even though it was with Justin on Tuesday.
A big thanks to this week’s sponsors:
- Foghorn Consulting, which provides full-stack cloud solutions with a focus on strategy, planning and execution for enterprises seeking to take advantage of the transformative capabilities of AWS, Google Cloud and Azure.
This week’s highlights
- 🚨 The honey pot might be about to dry up for Microsoft’s lawyers.
- 🚨 If you need a headache to get out of dinner with the in-laws, read this.
- 🚨 Google has finally started listening to the sage advice from The Cloud Pod.
General News: Burn, Baby, Burn
- 🥺 Okta says it’s buying security rival Auth0 for $6.5 billion, sending its stock plunging. The company’s not telling us its plan so don’t panic just yet.
- 🔥 OVH data center burns down knocking major sites offline. Brutal.
JEDI: Things Are Not Going Well
- 🤣 With a $10 billion cloud-computing deal snarled in court, the Pentagon may move forward without it. We can’t wait to see what this has cost taxpayers.
Amazon Web Services: Bottom Of The Barrel
- 👍 AWS Lambda has received four new trusted advisor checks. This is a real advantage!
- 🤯 AWS Secrets manager now lets you replicate secrets across multiple AWS regions. This makes our brains hurt.
Google Cloud Platform: Just Listen To The Cloud Pod
- 🔨 Introducing Apache Spark Structured Streaming connector for Pub/Sub Lite. Easy tools to make life easier!
- 🎠 Google’s Cloud Healthcare Consent Management API is now generally available. Could be a Trojan horse.
- 🙏🏻 Save the date for Google Cloud Next ‘21: October 12–14, 2021. Thank you, Jesus, it’s not nine weeks long!
- 😐 Managing cloud firewalls at scale with new Hierarchical Firewall Policies. This is a terrible name.
Azure: Hot Potato
- 💖 Scale your critical applications cost-effectively with Azure Disk Storage. Always love a good disk storage story.
- 🤷♀️ Architect and optimize your internet traffic with Azure routing preference. Who comes up with these names?
- 🙈 Announcing preview of Azure Trusted Launch for virtual machines. Cough, SolarWinds should read this, cough cough.
- 🐼 New Azure region coming to China in 2022. Yay.
- 😎 Improving agility, performance and resilience with new Azure infrastructure capabilities. Some cool features.
TCP Lightning Round
⚡ Ryan, energized by his win last week, could be on a winning streak as he takes this week’s point, leaving scores at Justin (3), Ryan (2), Jonathan (4).
Other headlines mentioned:
- Introducing a new API allowing you to stop in-progress workflows in Amazon Forecast
- Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL supports managed disaster recovery (DR) with Cross-Region Automated Backups
- Amazon Connect now provides an out-of-the-box chat user interface for your website
- AWS Step Functions adds tooling support for YAML
- AWS Systems Manager Change Manager now supports multi-level approvals
Things Coming Up
- Google Cloud Born-Digital Summit March 25th 2:30 AM – 5:00 AM Pacific Time (US)
- Microsoft Build — May 19–21 (Digital)
- Google Cloud Next — Not announced yet (one site says Moscone is reserved June 28–30)
- Google Cloud Next 2021 – 12-14 October, 2021
- AWS re:Invent — November 29–December 3 — Las Vegas
- Oracle Open World