On The Cloud Pod this week, Amazon announces Neptune Serverless, Google introduces Google Blockchain Node Engine, and we get some cost management updates from Microsoft.
Thank you to our sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides top notch cloud and DevOps engineers to the world’s most innovative companies. Initiatives stalled because you’re having trouble hiring? Foghorn can be burning down your DevOps and Cloud backlogs as soon as next week.
General News [1:24]
- 😯 Microsoft surprises with first quarter results
- 📉 Microsoft drops 6% after revealing weak guidance on its earnings call
- 3️⃣ Alphabet announces Q3 results
- ✂️ YouTube shrinks Alphabet; company will cut headcount growth by half in Q4
- ⚓ Amazon stock sinks 16% on weak Q4 guidance
- 3️⃣ Amazon announces Q3 results
- 🦥 Amazon CFO says tech giant is preparing for ‘what could be a slower growth period’
- 😞 AWS just recorded its weakest growth to date
- 🏅 AWS named as a leader in the 2022 Gartner CIPS Magic Quadrant for the 12th consecutive year
- ⏰ Amazon announces Neptune Serverless.
- ⏰ Google introduces Blockchain Node Engine
- ⏰ Cost management updates from Microsoft.
💎 “Google Cloud is an important partner to HashiCorp, and our enterprise customers use HashiCorp Terraform and Google Cloud to deploy mission critical infrastructure at scale. With 70 million downloads of the Terraform Google Provider this year and growing, we’re excited to collaborate closely with Google Cloud to offer our joint customers a seamless experience which we believe will significantly enhance their experience on Google Cloud.” – Burzin Patel, HashiCorp VP, Global Partner Alliances. [39:38]
AWS: Amazon Goes to Neptune
- 🪐 Announcing Amazon Neptune Serverless – A fully managed graph database that adjusts capacity for your workloads. [13:15]
- 🖥 AWS Batch for Amazon EKS. [17:08]
- ☁️ AWS Console mobile application adds support for AWS CloudShell. [20:13]
- 💉 AWS Fault Injection Simulator now supports network connectivity disruption. [21:57]
- 📜 AWS Private Certificate Authority introduces a mode for short-lived certificates. [24:01]
- 🔈 AWS announces Amazon EKS Anywhere on Apache CloudStack. [24:51]
- 🎩 Amazon EKS Anywhere now includes support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. [26:32]
- 🕶️ Announcing dark mode support in the AWS Management Console. [28:01]
- 🪛 Amazon EC2 enables easier patching of guest operating system and applications with Replace Root Volume. [29:24]
- ✨ Amazon Aurora supports cluster export to S3. [30:50]
- 💵 Amazon MSK now offers a low-cost storage tier that scales to virtually unlimited storage. [32:02]
GCP: Google Goes Blockchain?
- 🌍 Introducing assured workloads in Canada and Australia. [33:37]
- 🪙 Introducing Blockchain Node Engine: fully managed node-hosting for Web3 development. [34:57]
- ☁️ Google Cloud and HashiCorp deliver a more efficient approach for cloud support services. [38:59]
- 💪 Introducing Sensitive Actions, a new way to help keep accounts secure. [41:20]
- 💻 Join the Google Cloud BI Hackathon. [45:26]
- 📀 Skaffold v2 GA: Further enhancing developer productivity. [46:41]
Azure: Microsoft’s Got that Money (Update), Honey!
- 💸 Microsoft Cost Management updates—October 2022. [48:03]
- 👋 General availability: Azure Cosmos DB for MongoDB data plane RBAC. [50:12]
⚡ TCP Lightning Round (Justin 8, Ryan 6, Jonathan 4, Peter 0) [50:53]
- Amazon Cognito now provides user pool deletion protection
- AWS Nitro Enclaves is now supported on AWS Graviton
- AWS Service Management Connector now streamlines display of AWS Service Catalog products by Account and Region in ServiceNow Service Portal
- Amazon SES now offers new model to simplify provisioning and managing dedicated IPs
- Announcing new AWS Amplify Library for Swift, now with support for both iOS and macOS
- Announcing Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Workstation on AWS
- Amazon RDS now supports events for operating system updates
- Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) now supports the transfer of Elastic IP addresses between AWS accounts
- AWS CloudTrail Lake now supports export of signed query results to Amazon S3
- Improve your Azure SQL Managed Instance performance with new TempDB configurations.
- Auto-scale compute to higher limits with up to 80 vCores in selected regions using Azure SQL Database serverless.
Things Coming Up:
AWS Reinvent – November 28th-Dec-2
And that is the week in the cloud. We would like to thank our sponsors Foghorn Consulting. Check out our website, the home of the cloud pod where you can join our newsletter, Slack team, send feedback or ask questions at thecloudpod.net or Tweet at us with hashtag #thecloudpod