On this episode of The Cloud Pod, the team discusses the new Amazon Linux 2023, Google Bard, new features of Google Chronicle Security Operations, GPT-4 from Azure Open AI, and Oracle’s Kubernetes platform comparison. They also talk about cloud-native architecture as a way to adapt applications for a pivot to the cloud.
A big thanks to this week’s sponsor, Foghorn Consulting, which provides full-stack cloud solutions with a focus on strategy, planning and execution for enterprises seeking to take advantage of the transformative capabilities of AWS, Google Cloud and Azure.
This week’s highlights
- 🚨 AWS: Amazon announces General Availability of Amazon Linux 2023.
- 🚨 GCP: New capabilities available on Google Chronicle Security Operations
- 🚨 Azure: Azure announces preview of GPT-4 in Azure Open AI Service.
- 🚨 Oracle: Oracle compares its Kubernetes platform with that of Hyperscalers.
- 💡 “The goal of Cloud Native architecture is to develop scalable resilient ports of applications that you can easily deploy and manage in a modern Cloud environment”
- 💡 “You maximize the benefits of the platform you’re on and you minimize the weaknesses of it when you design for that platform”
- 💡 “There’s nothing that prevents you from going to the cloud if you’re not cloud-native, I just think you don’t get the advantages of the cloud native and what the cloud brings to you”
AWS: Amazon announces General Availability of Amazon Linux 2023.
- 👤 Amazon Linux 2023, a Cloud-Optimized Linux Distribution with Long-Term Support
- ️🕵️ This third generation of Amazon Linux Distributions includes security policies to apply the common industry guidelines.
GCP: New capabilities available on Google Chronicle Security Operations.
- 0️⃣ Chronicle Security Operations Feature Roundup
- These New features enable a speedy response to threats.
Azure: Azure announces preview of GPT-4 in Azure Open AI Service.
- 0️⃣ Introducing GPT-4 in Azure OpenAI Service
- As billing starts on the 1st of April, customers can begin harnessing Open AI’s most advanced model.
Oracle: Oracle compares its Kubernetes platform with that of Hyperscalers.
- 0️⃣ Kubernetes cloud cost comparison: Who provides the best value?
- They highlight both serverless and managed K8 services and compare some specific services offered by both.
The Cloud Journey Series; Cloud Native Architecture.
- Cloud-Native architecture is an approach to building and running applications that use Cloud computing principles and technologies.
- Some benefits are scalability, reduced time to market, better utilization of resources, integrated management and monitoring as well as efficiency with large or small-scale work.
- While it is possible to move to the cloud without being cloud-native, the benefits may be reduced and there are no provisions for the typical challenges in the cloud space.
Other Headlines Mentioned:
- Amazon to lay off 9,000 more workers, including at AWS, as cost-cutting effort continues
- Amazon Takes Its Time Delivering Second Round of Job Cuts
- AWS Chatbot Now Integrates With Microsoft Teams
- Try Bard and share your feedback
- AWS announces new AWS Direct Connect location in Muscat, Oman
- Application Auto Scaling now supports resource tagging
- AWS now allows you to bring your Windows 11 licenses to Amazon WorkSpaces
- Amazon VPC Reachability Analyzer now supports 3 additional AWS networking services
- Amazon Corretto 20 is now generally available
- Amazon EMR now supports Amazon EC2 C7g (Graviton3) instances
- Amazon Connect launches support for multiple SAML 2.0 identity providers
- AWS Backup now supports VMware vSphere 8 and multiple virtual NICs
- AWS Database Migration Service now generates an AWS Glue Data Catalog when migrating to Amazon S3
- AWS Migration Hub Strategy Recommendations adds support for binary analysis
- AWS Database Migration Service now supports S3 data validation
- Amazon CloudWatch Logs adds support for new Amazon VPC Flow Logs metadata
- AWS CodeBuild now supports a small GPU machine type
- Amazon GuardDuty RDS Protection for Amazon Aurora is now generally available
- Amazon Kendra releases Microsoft SharePoint Cloud Connector
- Amazon EC2 C6in, M6in, M6idn, R6in, and R6idn metal instances are now available
- AWS Clean Rooms Now Generally Available — Collaborate with Your Partners without Sharing Raw Data
- Google Cloud targets multiplayer game developers with GKE Autopilot
- Pub/Sub schema evolution is now GA
- Introducing time-bound Session Length defaults to improve your security posture
- Announcement: Azure Active Directory backed authentication for JMS 2.0 API on Azure Service Bus
- General Availability: ASP. NET web app migration to Azure App Service using PowerShell Scripts
- Generally available: Encryption scopes on hierarchical namespace enabled storage accounts
- Azure Maps is now HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliant
- Public preview: Listener TLS certificates management available in the Azure portal
- Public Preview: PgBouncer monitoring metrics for Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Flexible Server
- Preview: JSON support for Active Geo-Replication on Azure Cache for Redis
- Azure SQL—General availability updates for mid-March 2023
- General Availability: Performance workbooks for Azure PostgreSQL – Flexible Server
- Azure Load Testing support for JMeter 5.5
- Now available: Azure Kubernetes Service Edge Essentials
- Azure Machine Learning – Generally availability updates for March 2023
- Generally available: Azure Monitor integration with Azure Container Apps
- Generally available: Azure SQL Database offline migrations in Azure SQL Migration extension
- Public preview: Azure Database for MySQL connector for Power Apps, Logic Apps
- Azure Red Hat OpenShift version 4.11 now available
- Generally Available: Durable Functions support of managed identity for Azure Storage
- Public preview: Data API builder instantly creates modern REST and GraphQL endpoints for modern databases
- Public Preview: Collect Syslog from AKS nodes using Azure Monitor container insights
- Public Preview: Performance Plus for Azure Disk Storage
- Azure Red Hat OpenShift March Updates
- Generally available: Azure Ultra Disk Storage in Brazil Southeast, South Africa North and UAE North
- Azure SQL—Public preview updates for mid-March 2023
- Public Preview: Change data capture for Azure Cosmos DB analytical store
- Generally available: ContainerLogV2 Schema in Azure Monitor container insights
- Generally available: Metric charts support for split-by operations on multiple dimensions
- Generally available: Azure Firewall Basic
- Public Preview – Backup for Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)
- Public preview: Database connections support in Azure Static Web Apps
- Public preview: Azure Static Web Apps support for A Record
- General Availability: Support for pg_hint_plan and server extensions in Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Flexible Server
- General Availability of Azure Hybrid Benefit for SQL Server on Azure VMware Solution
- Azure Machine Learning – Public Preview updates for March 2023
- Azure Machine Learning – March 2023 Region Expansion Announcement
- Public Preview: Selective Disk Backup and Restore in Enhanced Policy for Azure VM Backup
- Generally available: Azure Digital Twins Data history supports Graph updates
- Kubernetes at scale just got easier with new Oracle Container Engine for Kubernetes enhancements
- OKE virtual nodes deliver a serverless Kubernetes experience
- Kubernetes cluster add-on lifecycle management
- First principles: Making Kubernetes serverless with OCI Virtual Nodes
- Breakthrough computational analysis of grate discharge flow performed by Ansys Rocky DEM-SPH on OCI bare metal GPU shape
After show: Mark Zuckerberg will be laying off 10,000 Facebook employees.
- 0️⃣ Update on Meta’s Year of Efficiency.
- This comes with a manifesto highlighting his key points for making Meta a formidable tech company.